In wintertime our diet shows some changes. We sometimes lack fresh ingredients, therefore grains, pulses, nuts, vegetable fats, like avocado, coconut, olive and warming spices come forward to stand against cold. Pulses have high amount of fibre and protein, they are rich in minerals and vitamins, so giving enough energy for the whole day. Nourish your body with these types of food frequently in winter, mix with cinnamon, curcuma, chilli, cardamom, garlic, ginger, cumin, and curry, and heat up you digestive system!Today’s recipe is a great example how to combine these ingredients deliciously; I hope you will like it!
For the Veggie balls
- 200 gr red lentil
- 50 gr wholemeal spelt flour
- 10 gr hempseed flour
- 30 gr flaxseed flour
- 30 gr chickpea flour
- Small onion
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
- Salt & curry
- 2 tbsp (spiced) olive oil
For the salad
- 100 gr pomegranate
- 150 gr corn salad (lamb’s lettuce)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
Preparing the Veggie balls
- Cook the red lentils with salted water (covering twice the size of the lentil in your bowl – let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. Wait until all the liquid is absorbed!
- Peel the onion and slice it up. Roast it in a frying pan with the coconut oil and add a the curry
- Remove the lentils from the heat and let them cool down – make sure to wait until they are cold because you will have to use your hands to form the balls
- Mix the lentil with the special flours, the salt, onion, and some curry in a medium sized bowl
- Knead it well with your hands so you get a homogenous mixture
- Form little/medium sized balls from the veggie paste
- Peel and clean the pomegranate for the seeds
- Add the walnut oil to the corn salad, together with the pomegranate seeds
- Pour the balsamic vinegar over the top
- Pour coconut oil into a medium sized pot. Add enough oil to have a 2,5 cm thick layer (1 inch) in the pot and heat it up
- Place the balls into the hot oil and fry each side for two minutes
- The finished fried balls should have a golden brown colour
- Place them on a drying rack/sheet to get rid of some of the surplus oil on the surface
- Feel free to add some richer condiments but be careful – these Veggie Balls are a carb bomb on their own!
- Add some vegan yoghurt (e.g. cashew) as a salad dressing for a creamy feeling.
- Add a few pinches of mashed garlic to the veggie ball mix to add some piquant flavour
Serve the balls on the salad be immediately, so you can enjoy them with all their juiciness.