Need a quick, easy meal to keep you full until dinner?
Bite into this delicious vegan lunch that’s packed full of healthy brain food
Eight million New Yorkers can’t be wrong—when you need lunch on-the-go, you can’t beat a bagel. Tasty, filling, and can be eaten with one hand!
For this recipe we stuff a healthy serving of hummus, bell peppers, onion, spinach, tomato, beet, and green onion into a toasted sesame seed New York bagel.
- 6 sprays coconut oil divided
- 1 red onion chopped
- 0.25 cup Water
- 0.5 tsp brown sugar
- 1 cup mixed bell peppers quartered
- 1 beet small, chopped
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 cup green lettuce washed and chopped
- 0.5 cup baby spinach washed and chopped
- 1 pinch mixed ground peppercorns
- 100 g hummus
- 1 tomato small
- 1 vegan sesame bagel
- 1 pinch salt
- Add half the coconut oil, red onion, water, and sugar to a medium pan. Cook on a high heat until reduced, about 5-10 minutes.
- In a different pan, add remaining coconut oil, peppers, beet, and green onion. Fry until the vegetables are soft and brown, about 5-10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, marinate the lettuce and spinach in vegan butter, then add the ground peppercorns.
- Slice and toast the bagel then layer the ingredients in the following order: hummus, lettuce, spinach, tomato, pepper/beet mixture, and top with the caramelised red onion.
- Add salt to taste, and serve.
Plate up with an extra portion of hummus on the side and a sprinkling of mixed peppercorns, and you’ll not be disappointed with your lunch!
Happy vegan cooking!