Of course, the main motivation to eat beets is the health benefits. They’ve been linked to better stamina, improved blood flow, and lower blood pressure. They contain potassium, magnesium, iron, folic acid, carbohydrate, protein, antioxidants, soluble fibre, and vitamins A, B6 and C.
Eat them regularly to stay healthy! Try this spicy soup for a creative way to use them in a simple meal.
- 1 liter Water
- 0.5 kg beet
- 1 tablespoon cloves
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Fresh coriander mashed
- 3 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 zucchini grated
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
Bring the water to boil in a large pot.
Reduce heat to medium and add the beets.
Put cloves, cumin, coriander, and ginger in a tea infuser. Lower infuser into the water.
Cover, and cook for 25 minutes.
Taste soup and adjust flavors to taste. Add the coconut sugar and balsamic vinegar, stir slowly.
Blend with a mixer for 30 seconds for a rich texture.
Form small balls with the grated zucchini and place in a bowl. Season with lemon juice.
Pour the soup into the bowl and serve.
Cloves, ginger & coriander add a bit of spice
Balancing sweet & spicy with sugar & cumin
Finish with a splash of rich balsamic vinegar
Spicy Vegan Beet Soup
- Take care! Beets can easily stain. Use gloves to prevent red hands!
- The longer you blend the soup, the creamier the texture.
- For extra creaminess, add some oat cream or cashew cream.
- For a sweeter taste, chop up one big apple and cook it with the beets.
- For a more savory flavor, add one diced potato (don’t forget to blend!).
- Decorate with fresh coriander or apple chips.